Morgala Days Rodeo
Morgala Days Rodeo Description
The History of Morgala Days
Morgala Days began in 1949 when the Lions Club was raising money to purchase uniforms for the Morgan High School Band. Club President, Willard Nielson with the help of his rodeo committee; Golden Porter, Royal Thackeray, and Jack Kippen procured the services of East Side Rodeo Co. of Promontory, Utah to produce the 2 night event at the cost of $700.00. Prize money alone today amounts to more than the first production cost. For the rodeo, a makeshift arena was assembled on the baseball field, with the corrals and chutes on the west side of the grounds.
About 1953, the corrals and chutes were moved to their near present location in preparation f or a rodeo to help with funds for the Stake Center Renovation. Dutch Porter and Spike Mecham were in charge of this event.
From 1949 until 1953 the idea of sponsoring an annual rodeo was suggested many times to the Lions, but not until early 1954 was it voted upon. At that time the club decided to hold a contest to name their celebration. The late Beaulah Buttars had just the name. "Morgala Days Rodeo" and what a perfect name she chose.
The first Morgala Days Committee consisted of Arthur Florence, President and General Chairman; Russell Porter, Rodeo Chairman; Golden Porter and Jack Kippen. The rodeo was produced by the Red Rock Rodeo Co. of Huntsville, Utah at a cost of $800.00 for the 2 night show. Bleachers were hauled from the State Fairgrounds by a group of Lions members with Gil Porter in charge. They were disassembled in Salt Lake - bought to Morgan - reassembled and visa-versa at the conclusion of the rodeo.
The year 1956 was the beginning of many improvements which have been and are still being made at the fairgrounds. The holding pens and chutes were moved to the present site, being constructed of lumber. From 1956 to the present time these have been reconstructed of metal one section at a time.
Portable bleachers were purchased in 1957 with the Lions Club, City, County, and School Board sharing the cost.
The permanent concrete bleachers, and cinderblock concession stand was constructed by the Lions Club between 1959 and 1960. The Committee for this project included: Russ Porter, Pres.; Joe Williams, Golden Porter, Hal Peterson, Harold E. Little, and Art Florence.
There has been continuous improvements made to the facilities over the years, but one thing is certain. Morgan County can rightfully be proud of the Morgala Days traditions and the wonderful facilities to hold such celebrations. This would have been impossible if not for the persistent efforts and foresight of the dedicated members of our Morgan Lions Club!!
Thank You Morgan Lions Club of the present and past!!!
-
Morgala Days Rodeo Where & When
- Location: 750 E Como Springs Road, Morgan, UT 84050
- Rodeo Dates: 06/12 - 06/13/2026
Gmail
Yahoo
Outlook
Email